Tuesday, March 1, 2011

August 2010

After Sossusvlei I went back and stayed at the Cardboard Box Backpackers.Hung out just trying to figure out what else to do. Met some really nice people at the hostel including some that were on the Sossusvlei trip with me. Some how got to talking with a couple guys aboutdoing a hike. Haven't done much trekking since I got to Africa so I was itching to do some more camping and hiking. Wilson a Brazilian guy and Tony a Canadian guy also were interested. So we spent a couple days trying to figure out how we could hike the Fish River Canyon. Its generally a 5 day hike that descends around 500 meters. The trek is around 85 km(53 miles) give or take. So in order to do the hike you need a current physical. They want to make sure that you are physically fit since there are no facilities down in the canyon. Its the second largest in the world. The only way to get some one out is to air lift them out. So we applied for a permit and got our stuff in order. So funny thing is after Tony, Wilson, Alf and I got down to Keetmanshoop I happened to be looking at my passport and realized that my visa would expire on the day we would finish the trek. So I went to the immigration place and waited there for about a hour. The lady there said off the books that I should not renew it because it would take 2 days. She said they don't pay much attention to the dates on the stamps. So decided to still do the trek. It was Alf's birthday(another guy I had met at Cardboard box from US) so we ate chocolate cake and drank box wine on the street waiting for Alf's bus to come. He's heading down to Cape town. Going to meet up with him there. Met some interesting Namibians. One infact was a drunk I'm sure. We gave him cake he drank some wine and I gave him a pair of my pants. lol. We left Keetmanshoop late. We didn't know how far or how long it would take for us to get to Hobas which is the start of the trail. We would spend a night there. I left my laptop and a few other things at a hotel. I figured it wouldn't be smart to carry that with me. So all I had was a sleeping bag so I slept on a bench at our campsite at Hobas. No idea what kind of wild animals there are there but in the morning saw some Baboons wondering around. Lets just say Fish River Canyon is the hardest hike I have done. The first day we hiked down then only like 5 km before calling a night. Next morning started at around 8 am by 11 it was to hot to hike. We had to stop and find shade rest for a bit. Don't know the exact tempatures. But I am sure they weremid 30's at least. We learned after the 1st day to start earlier. So we would wake up at like 6 am and start by 7. Then break/lunch from 11:30 to 2. It was tough. I carried 6 liters of water on me. I generally drank about 4 or more liters a day. I was carrying all my camera stuff plus a lot of things I didn't need. My bag probably weighed about 25 kilos or more. Didn't see anyone for 2 days during the hike then magically after going for a swim we saw 4 people walk by. Its so weird being in the middle of no where. 250 Km from the nearest town and not seeing people for a few days. We ended up finishing the hike in 4 days. It was amazing sleeping under the stars. Drinking water from the river. Nice just to be out doors. We spent a night at Ai Ais then went back to Keetsmanshoop. I booked a bus there for that night and Tony and Wilson booked a Train back to Windhoek. Meeting up with Tony in Capetown. Left Namibia and headed down to Cape town. Much to my surprise the problem at the border control wasn't on the Namibian side it was on the South African side. They only gave me 7 days. Well my overland doesn't start until the 18th. It was the 12th. I had no idea when I would be leavingthe country since the truck doesn't have a set dates. Most are flexible. So I spent a week in Cape town hanging out with Tony and Alf. Staying at the Ashanti Lodge. Bought a bunch of souvenirs and sent them home. The rest of the time I was sitting in the Home affairs office trying to get an extension on my visa. I got the extension a day before I left. I met Ish and Pat who are on the overland while cooking dinner. Nice guys from Australia. I had met only one other person from the overland and that was Ronald. A Dutch man who's been living in South Africa for the last 3 years. The morning of the 18th we were supposed to leave at 6 am I believe it was. But one of the passengers wasn't there so we waited till 8:30. During that time we sort of met each other while grabbing coffee. The first few days of the trip was a lot of driving. The route had changedand we are going through Namibia. Not making any stops there just doing a transit. The first night the truck(Ruby) dynamics/routine was explained to us. I shared a tent with Ronald. We all had cook group duties. One Newbie(Start in Cape Town) and one Oldie. My cooking partner is Adam but he and his girlfriend hit a bit of a snag while they were in South Africa. Their Passports were filled up. So they had to get 2 new ones expedited to them. Our first big stop for the Overland was Okavango Delta located in northern Botswana. It was a 3 day excursion where the locals took us out in the Delta on Makoro's. Swam in the river 30 meters or so from some Hippo's and had leeches attach them selves to my hands and feet.We did a few bushwalks and they did a performance of some of their music and dancing. Very beautiful place. We left Botswana and made our way to Zimbabwe. We got our Ethiopia visa in Harare before heading to Antelope Park. Antelope park is an amazing place. It definitely caters to tourist but where else do you get to play with Lion cubs, walk with juvenile Lions, ride Elephants, etc. Very cool place. I did the cub viewing, Cub feeding and I did the horse ride through the game park. We finished up the month at Victoria falls both Zimbabwe side and Zambia side. I honestly wasn't to impressed with Victoria falls after going to Iguazu. Iguazu was huge. Victoria was really tall but thats about it. Did a booze cruise on the Zambezi. That was a great time and got to see some wild life along the river.

Pictures:
Top to Bottom
Fish River Canyon on the first day of the trek. Namibia
Me and my Makoro paddler at Okavango Delta, Botswana
Lion cub curious what I'm doing a foot from his face. Antelope Park, Zimbabwe
Lion cub roaring at Antelope park, Zimbabwe
Me Sitting at Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe Side
Herd of Elephtants at Zambezi, Zambia. Booze cruise.

1 comment:

  1. 'sup Kenj? Nice blog dude. Can't believe you're catching up with me.

    ReplyDelete